View Single Post
Old 12-27-2011, 12:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via Yahoo to mmciau
Not Ranked     

Dr Miller advised that the Biopsy results indicated a Gleason Scale of less than 7 and the rating was T1.

T1 stage
The tumour is located within the prostate gland and is too small to be detected during a rectal examination, but it may be discovered through other diagnostic procedures such as the PSA test. Prostate cancer at this stage generally produces no symptoms.

Dr Miller offered two methods of treatment that I should consider as appropriate:

Brachytherapy Procedure – treatment by inserting 80-120 Radio-active seeds into the Prostate,
or a
Radical Prostatectomy – Surgery to remove the Prostate in its entirety.

(The third method that is often suggested namely External Radiation was not considered/favoured because of my pre-existing medical condition which is Ulcerative Colitis).

He carefully explained the different methods including the risks associated with each method. He also issued to me a series of pamphlets and brochures that explained the methods in greater detail. He gave me time to consider the options available.

On 10 November 2008 I advised Dr Miller that I would like to try the Brachytherapy Procedure. I explained that I had made that decision based on my Gleason Score (<7) and my T1 Rating. (Upon reflection, I am positive I was probably mentally dreading the thought of Open Surgery Radical Prostatectomy!!)

I was immediately checked in for a Bladder Flow Rate where Urinating Flow Rate of the Bladder is determined and an assessment is made about the physical condition and well-being of the Bladder.

After that Test, Dr Miller’s Staff negotiated an Initial appointment with Adelaide Radiotherapy Centre (ARC). The Doctor at ARC went through all the procedures associated with Brachytherapy Procedure. I can also vividly recall he also asked me “point blank” why I did not opt for the Radical Prostatectomy. (I believe the Radiologist was challenging me to see if I had objectively assessed what would be the better treatment option). I said, in my view that the Brachytherapy Procedure appeared to be the less invasive procedure bearing in mind that all evidence at the time suggested that the Cancer was confined to ‘within’ the Prostate.

On 29 January 2009, I was admitted to Calvary Hospital as a Day Surgery Patient so that the Brachytherapy Procedure “Volume Test” could be conducted. I think I was under General Anaesthetic for approximately 90 minutes. In the Recovery Room afterwards, I was advised by Dr Miller that the Brachytherapy Procedure option was not available/suitable to me because my Pubic Bone partly shrouded the ‘direct line access” to the Prostate that the Radiologist need to properly insert the Radio-Active Seeds into the whole of the Prostate.

My only option available to me now was a Radical Prostatectomy.