Thread: 408W or 427W
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2012, 12:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance SPO2512 427W TKO 600/ NW Exotics 351 Cleveland/Tremec 3550-Sold
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RET_COP View Post
Dana what happened to the 393? It would seem like that made at least 500HP.
Lou
The KC Brodix is a very nice head. the 210 would fit nice with a 427. The AFR also is a nice head.
Lou
In the short time I had the 393 on the road, it sure drove nice and seemed to make good power.

The shop that built the motor used the wrong camshaft thrust plate resulting in excessive endplay. The cam and distributor gear were wiped out in less that 175 miles. I saw that he tossed in some used pushrods when he built the motor so I figured I better check everything. Crank, bearings, pistons and cylinder walls were undamaged. Measured all the clearances, CC'd the heads, etc. Everything checked out as per the build sheet.....except for the used, mismatched pushrods which were .080" too short, one of which was bent. That pretty much put me over the edge since by this time I had missed out on all the summer cruises, etc. I replaced all the damaged parts in the 393, a friend made me an offer on the motor to replace the 347 in his Mustang, so off it went.