View Single Post
Old 01-08-2012, 06:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2027, 65' 289" PS wheels
Not Ranked     
Default The "in car video" from a "what the heck" moment at Willow Springs this year

Back in October Pete Tryce and I were up at WillowSpings Raceway, WSIR, near Lancaster/Palmdale for the West Coast Racing (aka Pantera Club) weekend.

Had a great Saturday. Me enjoying some new M/T S/R's on my car, and Pete a fresh 426 Windsor and new Nitto 17" tires in his car.

Sunday...enjoyment...?...not so much. The video pretty well covers what happened.

This is the "short version" of the "in car video"...there is a full length version at you tube.

Cobra Crash Willow Springs, Short version 130 mph - YouTube

Not clear whether the right lower control arm broke first, or the right steering rack outer shaft separated at the tie rod end, but the car was going straight ahead, flat out, end of front straight, but NOT yet braking for turn one at Willow. What caused the failure is conjecture, we can all hypothesize a reasonable failure sequence.

FWIW, the roll bar NEVER touched the ground...NO scratches...car dropped down on its right front, spun and then tumbled/rolled several times.

5 point harness, drivers suit and a lot of pure luck...

Ironically, the car was for sale THAT weekend! Lap times were getting to the point were it seemed a car with a "full roll cage" was prudent.

OK...Engine/trans are available. The engine is a fresh build for the track, 426/351 stroker, all rollerized, forged, etc. All engine/trans/clutch info, along with a dyno sheet from the morning before the weekend is available.

Car/engine is in the Torrance, Ca. Contact info is ON THE VIDEO, or PM me...(I may not be able to respond till the end of the week).

Pete M
ERA 289 #2027