View Single Post
Old 01-08-2012, 11:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC with 6 litre 307KW LS2, Comp Cam, 348rwhp & 532.5 ftlb of torque with 6L80E Tiptronic Transmission
Not Ranked     

Dave - Charger Story - As you know I was a Highway cop for the best part of 35 years and in the early 1970's we were using a mixture of marked and unmarked Chargers from 6cyclinder, to big V8's. I had an unmarked E49 that really flew, but had a bad habit of seizing the distributor bearing which in turn, ripped the cam gears to pieces. This seized the motor and had disaterous results on the valve train. The bonnet lifting and flying back over the windscreen at high speed was another small problem. I had the car towed to the local dealers quite a few times for the distributor / cam problem. Just before we changed camps and moved from Chrysler to GM products and Harry Firth's missile tripple carbied, massively camed, Bathurst Torana's with long range fuel tanks, I had a similar probelm with the distributor on the Charger for about the third time. It was towed to the local dealer and a smart arsed mechanic who wasn't really affectionate to Police, installed a Taxi cam in my E49. Instead of pulling 120mph in third with massive amounts of torgue available (similar to a Cobra with an LS2), it would only do 85 mph flat out, but I was getting over 30 miles per gallon. The only person who was happy was the euivalent to the then Financial Manager who was paying the fuel bill. Other than those couple of small problems, I loved the car and it did win Bathurst. One day I will tell you about the all black, unmarked Phase 4 GTHO's, but that is another story. I loved work.

Baz