View Single Post
Old 01-11-2012, 01:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobura View Post
I am planning to buy a MKIII from Superformance, but I would welcome any comments/suggestions that would help in my getting a Cobra that will meet my expectations. I will try to keep this brief.

1. Any comments regarding Superformance or alternative manufacturers of rollers?

2. I want a 351w for street driveability with 5 speed transmission. Clutch pedal pressure is a concern as are the manual steering, lack of power brakes, and stiff suspension. (I have not driven a Cobra, only sat in a couple.) I am assuming that none of these issues is a show-stopper in the sense that they should not be of concern or that they can be mitigated by mechanical tuning.

3. Are there any advantages to my getting a roller and having the engine and transmission installed as a separate step in a shop, versus having the dealer provide a turnkey car?

Thanks in advance for any response.
Welcome!!!

Great that you are doing your "Due Diligence" before you pull the trigger.

I own a Superformance configured similarly to what you are considering, so let me answer from that perspective...

1. My Superformance was built in 2001. Almost 20,000 miles. It has been bulletproof reliable. Everything is quality from the paint to the frame and suspension. The interior - seats, instruments, etc. resemble the original cars. I like that. A great car. I am obviously biased towards Superformance - I am a satisfied customer. I am sure others on this forum who have first hand knowledge of other brands will chime in.

2. My motor is like what you are looking for. It is a Ford Motorsport 351w. 385hp. Lots of other Cobras make a lot more power. It is a great compromise between driveability, power and reliability. If you are easy on the accelerator it drives like a Crown Vic. Hit the gas and the car is transformed. There are a lot of motor options. Again, check out the market. Due Diligence is your friend.

The controls are stiff. Clutch, steering, brakes (these are assisted). Not unduly so, but this feel is part of the character of the car. Some folks have added power steering. Not for me. I like it the way it is. In my opinion, less technology is more on these cars.

3. If you buy from a Superformance dealer, they can recommend shops to get a great install. My car came from Olthoff Racing in North Carolina. Great people.

Your personal page says you are in California. You say that you have not had the opportunity to drive one of these cars. I recommend you contact a dealer. They will do everything to bring you up to speed to insure you make the right decision.

Shame you are not in Georgia - You are welcome to check out my car.

Best of luck with this!!

Jack