View Single Post
Old 01-15-2012, 04:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default What gear ratio are you running??

cobrakiwi What's the rearend ratio for the car?? The super box is a stronger unit with continous power applied. It's rated for 600/600 club. I know of 1 guy running it. The only small problem is the 1 to 2 power shift. It was not designed for this shift. Other wise the box is great. Spending the time for a complete setup of bell housing, engaged clutch clearance(air gap between disc and pressure plate), checking for input shaft clearance with a Lakewood bell housing and GM input shaft for end play against bottoming out in the crankshaft. This will wipe out a thrust bearing in the motor quick plus cause hard shiftings.
As far as Undy, he abused the rules of limits. I also have run a richmond 6 spd for many years(7) until a built the 482 motor. The 6 spd has a limit of 450/450 HP and torque and they mean it. I got one of the first back in 94 and it will not power shift, also broke the end off the shifter fork. Has been repaired on the 1-2 fork. I have also found that installing a 2nd set of springs in the shifter helps make the shift to 3 gear and from 5th to 4th gear saver. I man handled the car a couple of times at the track and went from 5 to 2nd gear in a heartbeat and 2 360's at speed. No damage other than underwear. Stopped after the 2nd one in the same hour. double springs stopped missed shifts. Make sure the linkage clear the tunnel of the car. Heat may also be an issue with any trans on a hopt day. I found that installing a small 4" bildge fan and blowing fresh air down the tunnel has helped the trans and shifting after a 20 minute run on the track. Boating companies sell them. Need to buy flex tubing to make this work.
Bottom line is you get what you pay for PERIOD. I believe that the Richmond is a strong box and engineered better than the TKO. I also like the outside linkage to the forks and not inside. Less shafts in the Richmond also.
Kiwi you didn't say where the torque power band is?? The reargear ratio could cause issues if the motor can't run in the bottom of the torque band without lugging. You have the right 1st gear ratio. I have a 3.25 in the 6spd and a 3.05 in the G-Force. Hardly use them at all. I am buying a superstreet 5 spd for the 498 motor I am building. Watch out for real sticky tires. Have found out the a tire with a 100 wear pattern is about as soft as you want to run and not cause extra abuse to drivetrain on street. I run pilots with a 200 wear. Good luck with car. 3.07-3.54 would be a great ratio. anything on the other side of these will be a large hand full. I tryed 3.77's way to stupid of a car to drive with a rockie driver. My 2 cents Rick Lake