View Single Post
Old 01-16-2012, 03:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     
Default Tires and Wheels

Here is another twist on tires that may interest anyone doing a 427 Street Roadster or FIA. It won't be everyone's cup of tea as they say.

I need room in the rear wheel wells to run 2-1/2" tailpipes and since the ERA Street Roadster is molded with the wider rear fenders I didn't want to go with 7-1/2 inch wheels in the rear - which might have actually reduced room for the tailpipes. I was also limited to an approximately 27 inch tire due to frame clearance. So I went with Vintage SC wheels (7-1/2 and 9-1/2 inch x 15 in) and installed 215/70-15 tires on front and 255/60-15 on the rear. The fronts are slightly under 27 inch and the rear are 27 inches tall.

I was a little worried that they would be too narrow for the wheels and look a little odd but I think they turned out real well or at least exceeded my expectations. Had a few compliments on them when I picked them up after mounting and balancing. No pictures on the car yet - still being color sanded and buffed out.