View Single Post
Old 01-29-2012, 09:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance SP328
Not Ranked     

Thanks for your reply, Blas. I'm confident the stat is in the right direction, but I do know it doesn't have the air holes drilled. I always thought those had to do with the heater and not for letting air bypass. I drove the car yesterday to get it warmed up and watched it in the driveway. When the gauge gets to around 95' you can see fluid starting to rise in the overflow tank. Once it hits around 100-105' fluid will start out of the cap like you described. As soon as I turn on the fans with the dash switch the fluid level will drop all the way down on the overflow level indicator. The gauge will then read about 80'. What I don't get is that at 100'C is around 212'F. With my digital temp shooter I am not reading anything near that high around the engine compartment so I don't think the car is over heating.
I started noticing that it took longer and longer for the fans to kick in with the thermostat. I figured the switch was going bad and I planned to replace it. I did a little research and read that this switch can be a real pain to access and replace. Several people suggested to wire in an override switch so I installed one on the dash.
When my friend's shop replaced the cam the motor was lifted just enough to clear the cam going in. The radiator stayed in place. I'm assuming that they drained the coolant and replaced it when they finished, thinking maybe they didn't put enough in but I'm not certain about that.
Every time I take of the radiator cap on the expansion tank there is never fluid in the tank, maybe just a bit sitting in the lower portions of the ribs in the tank but nothing more. Is that an indication of not enough fluid in the system? I would think that not enough fluid would cause some erratic behavior?