View Single Post
Old 02-02-2012, 10:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Brake abuse

Quote:
The difference is, you need 1.9 t/ft (16Ga) or 9.2 t/ft (11Ga) - with a 0.875 V.
The 50% does not quite cut it hehe
Had to think about this ..... didn't know what it meant. When the lightbulb came on press brake! Looking at your build and looking at the background in some of the pictures you know a lot about them.

I thought about making a small one for a hydraulic shop press. But I don't have one of those either. A friend has one I can use. Anyhow I have been using my 24 inch diacro box and pan brake. It is only rated at 16 gage. Doing a piece of full width (24 in) 16 gauge and to get a nice crisp bend is tough on this machine. The brake has some spring to it. When I try to bend 11 gauge in narrower widths is doable but hard to get a nice tight radius. When I use it to bend 11 gauge I loose material in the bend, not gain. My scribed bend line ends up part way up in the radius. That is why I was saying that if you draw 2 lines at 2 in apart and make the bend I end up with the sides being 1.900 apart. That's why I bend a practice piece so I know how much to fudge my numbers.

Pic of my brake