View Single Post
Old 02-06-2012, 05:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 331 SB, AFR heads
Not Ranked     

Eljaro and Runes,

I recently purchased a 48 IDA setup for a 289/302 small block and it came with carbs made in Spain. Upon first installation, I had problems with fuel flooding in the carbs after shutdown and decided to check the float levels. Upon inspection of the float needle ball height (25mm) according to the 48 IDA drawings, it was found that my carbs had different heights varying from 25mm to 25.6mm. To correct this variation, I sanded the needle seat gaskets on the offending carbs so they all were at 25mm. Next, I checked the carb top gasket to find that it measured from 3mm to 4mm depending on the location measured. If I subtract the gasket thickness from the needle ball height (uncompressed), I arrive at a float tang setting height of 24.7mm instead of 24.2mm as indicated on the drawings. Since the float setting height of 5.5mm to 6.0mm above the carb body is controlled by the float tang setting amplified by a ratio of approximately 4 to 5, I want to make sure that my assumption was correct. Anyway, I set the tangs all at 24.7 mm, reassembled the carbs, filled the bowls using the electric fuel pump, and measured the height of the gas in the main jet well as described in the Weber Tuning Manual using a vernier caliper and a light. In all of the carbs, the levels were between 42.0 to 42.7mm from the fuel to the top of the well on the carb body.

My questions to the both of you are 1) is the assumption that the tang on the float should be set to 24.7mm valid, 2) are the carbs made in Spain supposed to use the float setting dimensions given in the 48 IDA drawings, and 3) is it common to find the needle seat variations on a new set of carbs?

John