View Single Post
Old 02-07-2012, 08:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Butler Cobra. 350 Chevy Engine, blueprinted, heads cc'd, ported, polished, manifolds matched, big valves, 1.6 roller rockers, TB Injected, mild cam, MSD crank trigger electronic ignition. TKO-600 transmission. XKE Jaguar rear. IFS by Fast Cars
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVREDSLED View Post
Lal naja, I have travelled frequently to the US over the last 3 years, and indeed Chicago is my fav City "Go Cubs" Can you advise us in OZ how much you pay per month in electricity? We can then times that figure by three to compare to our quarterly bill.

My reason for asking, is that in October 2011, I spoke with Congress officials in DC who in one hand praised us for introducing a carbon tax, and on the other hand had no idea about how much we currently pay for electricity and how the tax would affect that.

So if you dont mind, how much on average does the average householder in the US pay for electricity only..not gas, water etc, just electricity.
That is a tough question to answer. We use electrical power to cool in the summer and gas to heat in the winter so I'm going to give you both for my situation. My house is about 3,300 sq foot 306 square meters. With a cubic content of about 33,000 cubic feet. 935 cubic meters.

I keep the house climate controlled throughout the year with an average temperature of 71 degrees F. 21.67 degrees C. The entire volume of air in the house is changed two to three times a day with outside air through an air exchange and air purification system. So my example is not typical for your study. I really love living in a dust free home with air as clean as you can get without being in an operating room

During the night in winter I allow the temperature drop to about 62 degrees F but the house is well insulated and it never drops that low and I've never taken a reading in the middle of the night.

My electric bill. Jan. $272, Feb $289, Mar. $288 Apr. $296, May, $342, June $414, Jul. $422, Aug $414. Sept $336, Oct. $322, Nov $366, Dec $330.

My Gas bill: Jan. $136, Feb. $203, Mar. $188, Apr. $147. May. $95, Jun. $77, Jul. $53, Aug. $44, Sept. $48, Oct. $53, Nov. $71, Dec. $105

The link below may also be of some help. And I'm sure there are other websites if you google it.

average cost of heating home - utility bills (Chicago: houses, neighborhood) - City-Data Forum

Hope this helps, Chicago too is my choice for living. I've been here for 30 years and have visited almost all the major cities in the USA, along with 39 countries around the world. I agree with you, Chicago is a great place. I do however miss my old stomping grounds, Perth WA is where I grew up. Regards, Arthur

Last edited by lal Naja; 02-07-2012 at 08:35 PM.. Reason: typo