View Single Post
Old 02-15-2012, 11:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star with IRS, 427W with megasquirt, T56 magnum
Not Ranked     

What type ignition are you running now? Points? If your trigger wheel was a missing tooth and you went to neg coil connection, you will have to change the trigger in the setup menu of the tuning software. I don't have any of the tuning software installed on my work computer, so I can't walk through it and see exactly what the options are, but I remember there are a lot of options on the software side. If you're going to trigger off the dizzy anyway, I would suggest pulling the dizzy and running it with a drill until you get the trigger issues cleared up instead of wearing out the ring gear on your flywheel.

I'm far from any expert, but I have been wanting an excuse to install one of these for 3 years, and have studied this thing a LOT hoping to set everything up the best possible way for my purposes and side step as many problems as possible. So take everything I say with that understanding. Also, my car isn't ready to drive, so all I have any experience with is setup and starting the engine and getting a decent idle. My initial problems with getting the VR to trigger reliably had me considering a points and condenser dizzy and using it and a pull up resistor as a trigger. I would have to assume the hall sensor is the best considering the whole automotive industry went points-VR-hall (plus a few people trying optical somewhere in the middle).