Thread: Kirkham vs. ERA
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2012, 05:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Thunder Road

If you want to experience driving a cobra, the only way you can do this it to buy an original or buy a Kirkham. This isn't saying the others are bad, but all use different types of frames, bodies and suspension systems. The Kirkham was engineered from an original car. You can purchase the Kirkham set up like the original, suspension and all, or upgrade to Billit suspension parts. I recommend the later. My car is painted, however, many of the owners prefer the natural finish, either polished or satin. Just like any car, you have to take care of it. The aluminum doesn't seem to have any additional problems over paint, but both take some time to keep up.

All reproductions can be built and driven to enjoy the essesence of a cobra, but only the Kirkham really reproduces the original experience. You have to decide if that's important to you. If not, a less expensive replica may serve your purpose.

If you meld the Kirkham chassis with a 90 degree V small block or a FE big block, you can really appreciate what the drivers from the 1960s went through to win races. They are a handful.

The other refreshing part of a Kirkham purchase is the guys that sell you cars are the same guys that engineered them. That is a rare commodity these days. They stand behind what they sell, and they sell the best.