View Single Post
Old 02-20-2012, 09:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Electric Carting in Frisco: Since this place is only a few minutes from my house, I went by there over the weekend to check it out. And I learned a few things that might be of interest:

*Helmets--their loaners require a head sock that they give you. It is not the usual thin painter's head sock but a sweatshirt-thick thing that had most of the driver's visors fogged up. (Can you say, Gross!) Bring your own helmet--full-face OK, and open-face is OK but must have goggles/visor for eye protection.

*One smart guy had a GoHero camera stuck to the top of his helmet. I overheard that it makes some fun video.

*A lot of groups wait to do the 12-lap races, so there will be lots of downtime between sessions. (Car show in parking lot? Burnouts in the industrial park?) I do not know how many sessions we will sign up for. That is someone else's decision. Just know there is a lot of waiting. 10 at a time run a session.

*The "under-56" cart" (for elementary-size kids) looks real fun. Not as fast, but sufficient.

*Finally, we need to ask if we can run the track counter-clockwise as well as clockwise. It looks like we could double the fun that way. According to the manager on duty Saturday night, the track configuration changes every few months, but no one has ever asked to go the other direction. Wiggling the carts slowly into the pits (up to the battery chargers) will require some doing, but definitely worth the work. Or at least worth asking IN ADVANCE. Just a thought...

P.S. *Safety--the carts are also radio controlled. If the workers see a wipe-out, they hold down a button on a transmitter that makes ALL the carts go "pace lap" slow until the blockage is cleared. Then they release the carts electronically to return to regular speed. Ingenious! (That will help control jshel, ssssammy, and jross who need to know where the limits of traction are...)

Last edited by Prof; 02-20-2012 at 09:45 AM.. Reason: clarification