View Single Post
Old 02-20-2012, 06:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C Cobra, 521 CU BBF, Holley ProJection, T56 Magnum, 3.5:1 TruTrac 9-inch
Not Ranked     
Default ### Oil Cooler Thermostat?

Hi

I am adding an oil cooler to my Cobra as part of a winter upgrade. This is more for the "look" rather than the actual operation of it.

That being said, I'll run the oil through it anyway.

Someone told me that I have to use a thermostat/bypass for it - otherwise the cold oil pressure would blow the hoses off the oil cooler and/or the oil cooler would not be able to flow with the cold oil?

This doesnt sound right. I imagine the bypass would help keep the oil up to temperature in cold weather/winter - but I dont drive the Cobra that much in the snow (well - ok - there was that one day!).

my plan was basically just to run one big loop from the engine-filter-cooler and back to the engine. I already have a remote oil filter with hoses and have had no issue.

I already looked on the forum and saw a few folks using bypass valves, but that seemed mostly for temperature issues?

I just want to make sure I don't have some kind of resitriction/pressure issue with the cooler if I do not use a bypass valve.

thanks