View Single Post
Old 02-22-2012, 02:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Auto Works body, Ron Godell Racecars chassis, 1989 Mustang GT 5.0 HO (converted to carb), W/C T-5, 3.73's in a Ford 9" Traction-Loc.
Not Ranked     
Default Would a pump mounted fan help avoid overheating?

My 5.0 in my Cobra has no fan on the water pump. It has a puller fan on the radiator (but no shrouding to force the air through the radiator yet). I have no overheating issues as long as I keep the fan on and keep moving, even just a little, but in this sweltering S.E. TX summer heat the traffic gridlock in downtown Houston sometimes causes the temperature gauge to go higher than I prefer.

I doubt if many of us run an engine mounted fan b/c of the parasitic nature, it must take a lot of horsepower to turn that fan, even with a clutch.

Considering that ventilation through the engine compartment is problematic for the Cobra in general, would running a pump-mounted fan help evacuate hot air from the engine compartment and therefore enhance cooling?

I hate to lose the horsepower, but it is certainly better than dealing with an overheated engine while I save enough to afford having Blykins build me a better one.

Cheers!!

Dugly

No names were changed to protect the innocent!