View Single Post
Old 02-22-2012, 04:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar LS427, 408w, 48IDA Webers, TKO 600, 9" Currie 4-link 4.11 rear
Not Ranked     

My first drive in my Cobra - as a real test to overheating - was driving in So Cal traffic (some of the worse traffic in the nation) 112F temp, 50/50 fluid, no shroud, (1) large single SPAL fan pulling air off the back of the radiator, 180 thermostat with an 1/8" hole, running with the bypass hose - no issues - at all. My wife thought I was crazy to make this my first run, but I knew if it did not over heat then - it would not over heat period. This was typical stop-and-go So Cal traffic, 54 miles one-way to work not driving at 70 mph - more like the average of 45mph and then the sit and stop - sit and stop in traffic.

Shrouds are really nice and they certainly will help with air flow, but before you go thowing money away I would look at your current setup (timing, pulley, carb, air trapped within your system, etc.) before investing a dime.

Since then I have made many upgrades, front mouth shroud, dual pusher fans, changed the fluid, added purple ice etc. - but this was mainly for looks and the "why not" factor - but I know for a fact I never needed to do it to make certain my car would not over heat. When talking to people it seems like trapped air gets overlooked a lot in the manifold - and coincidently had not been mentioned yet.