View Single Post
Old 02-23-2012, 12:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Auto Works body, Ron Godell Racecars chassis, 1989 Mustang GT 5.0 HO (converted to carb), W/C T-5, 3.73's in a Ford 9" Traction-Loc.
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the comments, guys! I'm pretty sure the timing and plugs are good (I just changed the plugs 500 miles ago and will look at the old ones as I retained them). I'm under the impression that the engine is a box stock 5.0 from an 1989 Mustang GT, just converted to carb, so I would expect factory pulleys...I'm 105 miles from it right now or I'd check. The radiator is fitted with a catch can for any discharge and there is never any fluid visible in it, so I think the radiator cap is OK (the radiator is a large aluminum Griffin unit, sourced from Keith Craft's shop up in Plano and is represented to be capable of cooling an engine producing up to 600 horsepower). I check the oil and coolant levels regularly and never need to add anything, it's always right where it ought to be. The puller fan works quite well, but if I turn it off the coolant heats up quite quickly even at low speeds (<10 MPH), so I know it's having a positive effect.

I like the idea of the Water Wetter or Purple Ice and have been thinking it was time to change the coolant. Will the WW or PI work with the newer antifreezes that are not ethylene glycol based? If so, I'll give it a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcowan View Post
As I understand your question, you're thinking of an engine mounted fan not to pull air through the radiator, but to move air through the engine bay. That's an interesting thought.

As you move the air from the front of the engine to the rear, a little would go out of side vents, and the rest would go out under the car. In slow moving traffic, it might actually help. I'v never heard of anyone trying it, so it just might be worth a try.
You are corrrect, Bob. This is my "scheme". Keep in mind the coolant temp has never exceeded 220F, it's just that we all know about the airflow issues with the Cobra's crowded engine compartment (not that those sidepipes help anything, either, with 8 header pipes all radiating heat within the engine compartment). Obviously, the fan could be removed for 3 seasons of the year, it's just that 4th season that cooks us Cobra drivers down here.

@ Elmariachi: I've heard about your Taurus fan fix, it sounds great and if it becomes a problem I'll certainly jump on it. I live about 25 miles from Katy (in Rosenberg, about 20 miles SW of Houston on U.S. 59) so the trip to Dave's would not be a problem....in fact, the Cobra has probably been driven in Katy more than it has in Rosenberg, as I use to work there and have friends there I visit.

@Seagull 81--no, there is no shrouding for the radiator to keep the air moving through it, although I suspect that large puller fan does a fair job.

For now, I think I know what is needed....a combination of a shroud, careful management of engine tune, and additives to the coolant, perhaps even wrap the primary pipes with some sort of heat tape. For now, the idea of just slapping a clutch-type fan on the front of the water pump was the easiest (other than the Water Wetter/Purple Ice). When I start upgrading the power, I suspect the problem will grow into a bigger issue.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I'll let you know how it goes when I get to work on it.

'Till then, keep the faith, and if anyone has more suggestions I'd be glad to hear them.

"...onward thru the fog", as they say!

Cheers!

Dugly

No names were changed to protect the innocent!