View Single Post
Old 02-23-2012, 05:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by YerDugliness View Post
The radiator is fitted with a catch can for any discharge and there is never any fluid visible in it, so I think the radiator cap is OK (the radiator is a large aluminum Griffin unit, sourced from Keith Craft's shop up in Plano and is represented to be capable of cooling an engine producing up to 600 horsepower).
Dugly
This statement caught my attention. The catch can on a modern engine does more than catch overflow. As the system heats up it expands, and needs a place to go. It ends up in the catch can. As the system cools, it contracts. The fluid should get sucked back into the system.

The catch can is actually part of a closed system. When cold, there should be an inch or two at the bottom of the can. When hot, the can should be about 1/2 - 3/4 full. If that's not happening, you're probably low on fluid, and the cap is probably bad. Caps don't last very long.

Surfactents like WW and PI work with any coolant.

The thermostat sets the minimum temp, and have very little to do with max temps. If it runs a steady 210*, the thermostat has no effect. If you're going from 195* while moving to 210* while sitting then a lower temp thermostat (like 180*) might gain a bigger buffer zone for the swings, but still won't effect max temps very much.
NASA Rocky Mountain TTU #42
www.RacingtheExocet.com
BDR #1642 - Supercharged Coyote, 6 speed Auto