View Single Post
Old 02-23-2012, 09:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

Got some good garage time today, and did some fine tuning. he engine starts, warms up, idles, and revs up just like it's supposed to. It runs smooth, and sounds mean. I can't wait to drive it.

The timing was off by 3*. A simple software setting change fixed that. Now I have complete control of the ignition system. Advance based on rpm, tps, and vacuum are easily adjustable with a few key strokes.

It's a wasted spark set up, with 4 coils feeding 8 cylinders. Each coil will fire two plugs at a time - one plug on the power stroke, and the other on the exhaust stroke. With a distributer and single coil, the coil fires a spark every 90*- 8 times for every full engine cycle of 720*. At full speed we're talking more than 400 times per second.

These coils will fire every 360* - 2 times for every cycle; about 100 times per second. That will allow more dwell time at high rpm's, and provide a much hotter and longer spark without a CDI box.

A side benefit is that the exhaust sounds a little different with a spark being delivered on the exhaust stroke. Not louder, just different. I'll be interested to see what it sounds like at speed.

If the weather clears up, I'll get some road time tomorrow evening. And we're supposed to have good weather on Saturday, too.
NASA Rocky Mountain TTU #42
www.RacingtheExocet.com
BDR #1642 - Supercharged Coyote, 6 speed Auto

Last edited by bobcowan; 02-23-2012 at 09:44 PM..