View Single Post
Old 02-24-2012, 07:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Auto Works body, Ron Godell Racecars chassis, 1989 Mustang GT 5.0 HO (converted to carb), W/C T-5, 3.73's in a Ford 9" Traction-Loc.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul F View Post
I have a puller fan with no shroud on a 351W; thermostat controlled. At first, it overheated very quickly. I added water wetter. No more problems, even in the scorching desert heat.
That's a huge endorsement! In my case, my fan is switch controlled, so I am the thermostat....no problem, I keep a good eye on my gauges.

Other than the thermostat issue, your setup is exactly like mine. However, my engine doesn't overheat unless it's stop-n-go traffic on a hot day, and even then it's never gone over 220 degrees. I'll definitely give the WW a try!!

On another issue, although I doubt that I have any air pockets trapped in the manifold I would like to check that issue. For those of you who have installed bleed systems on their intake manifolds, would you mind posting a photo of it? Trapped air is a big issue on most of the automotive forums I frequent so I want to address that possibility.

I don't have a heater (yet), so no air entrapment issues there.

@MadMaxx...I'd like to check the coolant temp sending unit.....but how? It's not like a thermostat, where I could take it off and immerse it in a pot of boiling water. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks, folks....thermostat check (actually, replacement, they're CHEAP!) and Water Wetter will be my first step....we'll see how that works, if it is still an issue I'll get busy measuring and bending some aluminum for a shroud.

Cheers!

Dugly

No names were changed to protect the innocent!