View Single Post
Old 02-24-2012, 10:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Auto Works body, Ron Godell Racecars chassis, 1989 Mustang GT 5.0 HO (converted to carb), W/C T-5, 3.73's in a Ford 9" Traction-Loc.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Clayton View Post
You haven't said(or I missed it), but your comments about horse power and converted from efi to carb--did you by any chance use an underdrive pulley set ?????
I don't think so, Jerry. I'm over 100 miles from it right now, and I'll check when I get home, but I believe the only thing they did when they swapped over to carb was change out the intake manifold for an Edelbrock and slapped a Holley on it (which made it run TERRIBLE, it was a 780 CFM). The most recent owner switched the Holley for an Edelbrock Thunder and it really screams now.

Of course, they eliminated the A/C compressor and the PS pump. All it has now is the alternator.

There are a lot of characteristics regarding the build that lead me to believe that it started life as a drag racer....aluminum fuel cell with the foam blocks built in, Mallory equipment (billet fuel filter, Mallory fuel pump, Unilite distributor and Hi-Fire coil), 9" Ford live-axle rear end, Brembo disc brakes on all 4 corners, and the most perplexing thing is the way the front and rear bumpers are mounted--there is only one bolt mounting the bumpers to the frame on each side of both bumpers, not two like every other car I've ever seen. I think it was an easy way to mount push bars for the trip back to the pits. The frame was built by Ron Godell Race Cars in Tulsa, OK (I suspect he completed the build, too). When Ron Godell died his heirs sold the replica to a used car dealer, and it was bought from the used car dealer by the owner two owners back. I have spoken to him, that's how I know where he got it and how.

It's quite likely it might have had a big-block in the past, but at some point it was swapped for the current 5.0/T-5 combo.

Cheers!

Dugly

No names were changed to protect the innocent!