View Single Post
Old 02-24-2012, 10:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Butler Cobra. 350 Chevy Engine, blueprinted, heads cc'd, ported, polished, manifolds matched, big valves, 1.6 roller rockers, TB Injected, mild cam, MSD crank trigger electronic ignition. TKO-600 transmission. XKE Jaguar rear. IFS by Fast Cars
Not Ranked     

I will be painting my frame soon and the suggestions are great. I decided to check out some of the products mentioned here, and here's what I found.

PPG DP-90 Is a primer/sealer depending on the catalyst used. And works on bare metal just great. It is not designed as a final finish. But really needs to be top coated with a Urethane if you want it not to stain from exposure to degreaser, brake fluid & solvents.

POR 15 is not suitable for new clean steel. It works best on seasoned or rusted steel.

Summit products could be a good choice, they have a primer for new clean steel and black topcoat.

Endura could be a good industrial product, I found it too difficult to get information and an easy source to buy it from.

Eastwood has a range of products that really impressed me. I believe that this is going to be my choice. They offer their standard Chassis Black which can be applied to steel without a primer, or with a primer that they sell for additional protection.

They also have an upgrade to the Standard and an upgrade to this called 2K Ceramic which has nano ceramic particles for the ultimate strength. Now I need to decide which one to use. My spray equipment will handle the Ceramic paint too and that is a bonus for me.

Everything I found that I have written above, was on the net from various sources including the paint companies and took an evening to research. I'm sure that there may be many opinions on the pros & cons and would enjoy reading them here.

Arthur