View Single Post
Old 02-27-2012, 04:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Bernie, we wouldn't want the facts to get in the way of a good story, would we??
I thought I'd clear a few things up in case some people believed what you were writing from the safety of your keyboard.
It is definately easier to criticise than to organise.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMK View Post
Yes Jason I am amazed at how the organizers have let such an event drop off.
There was a record number of both cars and spectators, not sure what you mean by this.

Quote:
I don't want to bag the event to much but the owners of cars who found them selves in the public carpark did that for me

To see beautiful Thunderbirds, Street Rods and rare GT Fords (read as rare and as costly as a CSX numbered car) parked up in the public car park was a joke.
The Arena was full bar some spots that were reserved in the club areas. Those that turned up late missed out, simple as that. If only we had a bigger venue....

Quote:
Sadly this is a fund raiser for charity.
Why sadly, would you prefer a private enterprise making a profit from it?

Quote:
Waste of time. No Cobras or GT40 just rows of Falcons....
Not sure if you were at the same event as me or you need glasses, but I saw 3 GT40's (allbeit one was a late mode Ford GT) and I only saw a small percentage of the cars

Quote:
Hard to get into...

I passed a large group of Street Rods whom had apparently gone down the Great Ocean Road after lining up and giving up and driving off for a cruise instead...

]Seems the organizers have no idea of what a quality show car is. Many of the cars in the public car park would be draw cards and placed in prime positions. But as I heard, they were late getting there or in a couple of cases waiting for the Sorrento Queenscliff Ferry to start to get there.
If we relied on these "quality" cars to turn up, there would potentially be an empty paddock.

Quote:
The organizers stood their ground and refused to let them onto the arena. So they just turned right and went up onto the public carpark road.

Public admission was $5 with $5 to park. Yet show cars were charged $25 entry plus $5 per passenger. Any wonder the public carpark had the best examples.
Wrong. Show car entry was $25, or $20 if you pre-entered. The avereage spectator car has 3.5 people so it works out about the same.

Quote:
Owners get a little annoyed after traveling from Melbourne or further through roadworks etc. arriving late and being treated like naughty boys and girls late for class.

"you know that you should have been here earlier it is your problem not ours"

The reason he was late was the West Gate Bridge was down to two lanes from four due to roadworks. The Burnley tunnel was stopped due to road re surfacing...
There were loads of people from Melbournes eastern suburbs who managed to plan their trip and got there quite early. It was well documented on all of the Ford based forums (except this one maybe) and Vicroads website about the roadworks.

Quote:
I wonder how quickly this event can be stuffed!! My hesitation in driving five hours in the GT40 to get there..
????

Quote:
The one car I climbed all over was parked up the back of the public carpark. Knowing the owner
and the cars history, I was astonished to find a Ford GT phase 3 with race history parked under the trees out of sight..

Don't want to sound like I am rubbishing the event. - just the organizers.
That's exactly what it sounds like...... Judging by the theme of your pre event post, you were hoping for disappointment.
The organisers are a small group of dedicated VOLUNTEERS from Kiwanis, a local service club. This is their main fundraiser for the years charity activities. Negative slurs like this are, well, a bit distastefull and offensive.

Quote:
The lack of good cars and the fallout of Ford clubs should be sending them a message.
The list of Ford clubs attending grows each year. There were 3 new ones this time round.

Quote:
If you want to see rows of late model Falcons you only need to go to your dealer...
Yes there are a lot of Falcons, but that's because they are out there in much bigger numbers and have a huge following. Unfortunately, we can't reserve areas for clubs or types of cars in the hope that they "might" turn up on the day if the weather's nice and they've had a nice sleep in.
Obviously we would like to see more Cobra's, Street rods, old American Iron etc., but it just seems to difficult to get them there.
We have also been asking for more Car club assistance in the organising of the event to inject the "car culture" and new ideas/improvements, but nobody is interested. Of the committee, I am the only one that is involved in a car club.
As someone mentioned earlier, the Public Liability insuance puts strict guidelines on vehicle movements after the advertised spectator opening time.

Cheers,
Tony Porter