View Single Post
Old 02-27-2012, 06:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the kind words guys. Here is a brief review of some of the build photos we took.

We started out by making flexible shape patterns (FSP) off the fiberglass body. Here Bob Baisden is making the pattern for the right fender top:

An FSP is a 'skin' of the shape. We work the metal until the FSP fits tight all over. If it is loose in the middle you stretch the loose areas. If it's tight on the edges, you shrink it. Easy....right?

Top of the nose all taped up. The FSPs are made from a non-stick layer (in this case Glad Press N Seal) and a layer of overlapping fiberglass strapping tape. The Fiberglass tape is what holds the shape. The non-stick layer just acts as a release agent.

This is what they look like...flexible but all the surface information is there.

Bob is using an Eckold Picollo machine to shrink the fender top.

At the same time we were working on several other panels, including the nose center. The scuff marks you see in the front are from Eckold NOMAR shrinking dies. They are not really marks at all and easily wheel or sand out.

Here Bob is using my wheeling machine to stretch and smooth the fender top.

The nose center has these nasty little reverse curves at the sides. A reverse curve is a saddle shape and is the most difficult thing in metal shaping. Here I'm using a 'blodger' to persuade the aluminum to fit the correct arrangement. We worked directly on the fiberglass but were as careful as possible.

Here I'm using a larger Eckold KF460 with NOMAR shrinking dies to work the panel. You can see that I've just flipped the FSP back. I'd shrink a bit, check the progress and repeat until it fit. Then take to the wheel to smooth.

And here is the center panel, all done.

The grill opening was just gently slapped down around the fiberglass while the panel was clamped tightly to the car.

Jamey Hunter used only hand tools (hammer, beater bag, and stump) and the ewheel to make his panels because that is all he has in his home shop. There is lots of ways to shape metal. Everyone should start by mastering hand tools which can do ANYTHING that you can do with more expensive power equipment. As skills increase, power equipment can increase productivity....or, without an increase in skills, increase your scrap rate

More later......