Old 03-03-2012, 08:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBowman View Post
I had a chronic coolant leak below the thermo housing which I assumed was the thermo housing gasket....replaced 3 times including new housing. Same problem. Using the mirror I saw it was wet at the inside corner where head meets intake and block just below the water jacket. I thought also the intake could have a tiny crack, so....bought a new Victor Jr intake and thermo housing-figured if I'm gonna do it lets do ev thing as this has pissed me off royally (coolant laying on top of the water pump, leaking, stinking in a brand new car wtf??? I also discovered that the water pump plug below the bypass was cross threaded SO>>>>buying a new water pump as well....again unbelievable as it is brand new.

My question is....upon removing the intake, I noticed that when they installed it, they siliconed around the intake ports along with the water jacket. I am told the water jackets need silicone but do you guys recommend silicone around the ports as well? I bought the gasket that Ford Racing told me to use but I didnt think to ask him what they recommend at the time and based on the crappy job done by the installer of mine originally I don't want to simply do what they did-who cross threads a water pump plug??? Was he using an air ratchet while hanging upside down??? Also, which silicone has performed well for you in this application, The stuff in there was gray but again I don't trust anything they did.

Once I fix the leak its on to the emerg brake that doesnt work and the troublesome "THUD/BANG" I get in my ass when I hit a bump the right way-just finished installing the lift in the garage so on to that next. This is sooooooo fun!!!!!
Don't use a Felpro Printoseal gasket...use a gasket from Mr. Gasket or Edelbrock with the correct port dimensions. I use silicone/RTV around the water jackets, but not the ports.