View Single Post
Old 03-12-2012, 09:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Bruce Cambern's 427 one owner Cobra

I was reminded of this car when I saw a picture of it, and am puzzled about its setup suspension wise and a few other things. When I saw the car at first I thought it was a replica because of non stock wheels. Now I know it is an original and that it is a winner in autocross events. Here's a couple questions.
I read it has an all aluminum side oilier, do they mean aluminum block? Also on another website they said he traded the original side oiler for a tunnel port side oiler.

Also one website said he has
"Fully custom made control arms with corrected chassis geometry" so that is a rouondabout way of saying the original chassis geometry wasn't right. I wonder if he tried to get Shelby to set the car up to his specs when he bought it new since he worked at Ford at the time he ordered the car.

Another post said "he also cut the front of the frame tubes off and made thick wall frame tubes that just fit inside, with a rosetta welded inner part that were crammed into the original frame with a hydraulic ram. " I asked a welder what " rosetta welding" was and he didn't know. My question is are the original frame tubes still there?

Another post also said he has a magnesium gearbox housing. I wonder if any other 427 Cobras had those?

He runs Hoosier tires, Penske dampers by T&A Shocks LLC. One funny note I read is that "At autocross events Bruce must turn the side pipes over to direct the spent gases under the car. As the exhaust pressure blasting out of the pipes. Will Blow over the orange cones."

I enjoyed the stories about how the car when it was 44 years old beat all the other cars at a Optima Challenge autocross. It shows some Cobras still have what it takes!--------------------------------------------------------------------------------