View Single Post
Old 03-21-2012, 08:19 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #684, 428 FE, TKO600
Not Ranked     

Have done a couple of longish legs in the Cobra over the past 7 years. Probably the longest single shot was Portland, OR to San Francisco, CA in a day. A little less than 800 miles. Any number of 250 to 350 mile day long hops.
If I'm going to be on the freeway for any period of time I use ear plugs (custom fit from any of several internet providers for about $15) not so much for the noise but for the wind buffeting. Ditto with Panoptix sun glasses that use a soft form seal to keep the wind from drying out your eyes.
Have done several Cruise Colorado trips that are a spectacular 6 day 12 to 1400 mile runs through the Rockies. Also a number of Snakes to the Lake runs which for me is a 500 mile run down to Sacramento and then another 150 or so up to Lake Tahoe and return to Portland.
Weather is probably one of the most significant factors for a long range trip in the car. I usually carry the top and side curtains in the trunk and, if it looks really bad, put them on as needed. Can be a life saver trip wise of the weather is iffy.
While not a "car for all seasons" the Cobra can be driven on long legs. Just make sure you have a reasonably detailed plan on how to handle what you're likely to run into. Make sure you're comfortable in your seats, take the bit in your teeth and go for it.
DonC