View Single Post
Old 03-25-2012, 12:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance SPO2512 427W TKO 600/ NW Exotics 351 Cleveland/Tremec 3550-Sold
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Dana - 2" muffler cores will "easily handle" 600 HP? That is not true at all - not even close. You will see a very significant HP & torque loss through that size core with 600 HP
I'm just relaying what the builder told me: the collector, the exhaust gas temperature and velocity all play a part in how well the exhaust system works. I can't comment about the 600 HP level, but at the 500 HP level, those 2" cores were down less than 20 HP at the horsepower peak (5900 RPM) compared to the dyno headers with no mufflers. Looks like the guy just might know what he's talking about. Someone with an honest 600 HP motor will have to bolt on a set of these pipes and see what results they come up with.

Quote:
I wouldn't recommend using a 2" core muffler on ANY V-8 - not even a 289 2-bbl '66 Mustang.
In the case of the GAS-N pipes, those 2" flowpath mufflers work pretty good and are somewhat quiet. They do look good and have a bit of a "crackle" to the exhaust sound.

I'm supposed to be getting a set of 2 1/2" core Gas-N pipes. I may do a before and after muffler test on a chassis dyno with the new pipes.