View Single Post
Old 03-29-2012, 06:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: GT350,289 w/48IDA Webers
Send a message via AIM to Earl J
Not Ranked     

Hi Rick and Bob,

I have that very linkage from the GT40. The Pivot points from the center bell crank are not centered. They are actually off set. The reasoning that was explained to me was to compensate and balance the butterfly position from idle to WOT (wide open throttle). This sits on a E&F FoMoCo C6AE (same as the C6FE GT40) manifold. See pics. This linkage doesn’t apply to pmangelos original post question as his carburetor orientation is different (mirrored carb arrangement, fuel line on the outside and throttle arms pull in differ rent directions).

On a different note I wasn’t happy with the throttle arms from Jay Cushman of Cushman Competition.

Back to pmangelos post question. I fabricated a chunk of steel with a few (3) mounting positions for the center bell crank. My “pull” rod runs up the center. In the photos I removed the #7/8 carb to expose my linkage. The chunk of steel has a pointer stamped on it. It points to a red mark on the #2 flange. It’s just a visual to let me know if my chunk of steel bell crank pivot mount has moved due to vibration (which it won’t because it is keyed to the cast post on the manifold).

As for a return spring, the springs on the carbs are NOT enough. You will need a true return spring! (I run a double return and a third off the back of #4) I made a special cross bar to curve around the distributor and still be far enough away from the bell crank to so the spring functions as it should. I even drilled and tapped it for a spare 10/32 threaded Heim joint can hang from it for the front mount of the spring. It was made from a billet aluminum Summit Holley carb regulator bracket. Check the photo for the remaining piece.

Anyway this is my contribution to this post. Sorry it’s so long but pictures don’t lie and I’m big on visual. Cross my fingers, let’s see if the pics load.

Cheers,
Earl J