View Single Post
Old 03-30-2012, 12:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: #010 SC motorcars 428PI TKO600
Not Ranked     
Default tko stuck in 5th gear

Well I thought I would share my experince with you as to what happened with my transmission. We went for a nice Sunday cruise and on the way back about 10 miles from home I down shifte to 4th and run the car up and shifted back to 5th, everything was okay, pulled into the lot and could not downshift, it was still in 5th, even though I could move the shifter into other gear slots, it would totaly lock the trans down as it was in two gears at once, I could put the lever back into neutral and it was still in 5th, I could not get the trans to go to neutral as far as the gears were concerned. The shifter would go but it was stuck in 5th. Fast foward to Thursday nite, pulled the trans out.......whew.... disassembled the trans found that the 5th reverse shift rail had broken in half dropping shift pin down into the bottom of the trans and chewed up the reverse idler gear and cracked the bottom of the case.
I had talked to Mike Forte who sold me the trans new in 2009 about maybe it had a sheared shift pin or something I could fixed quickly as I was borrowing a friends lift to pull the trans, he told me he did not think it was that and there was no way to know without tearing it down. He was right.
I called Tremec and talked to Rob Sheppard, he sent me a form to fill out and fax back to him, I am waiting to see what will happen, I am going to call Mike today and see if he can get the parts ordered. There are pictures in my gallery under transmisson album.
David

Last edited by davecobra; 03-30-2012 at 12:45 PM.. Reason: add info pictures in my gallery