View Single Post
Old 04-01-2012, 04:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Autokraft MK IV 302 Ford
Not Ranked     
Default Questions about my AC MKIV recently acquired!

Gents (and Ladies!)

Just purchased an Autokraft MK IV, Chassis number AK 066, (or is it AK 1066? I would assume from the build date in 8/85 it was #066) and I have a few questions. *The car was built in August of 1985, and has a hood scoop, painted a deep metallic blue. *302 with Webers, and Stainless sidepipes. *After taking delivery, I was surprised to see the dash more closely resembles an original Cobra vs. the Ford switchgear, etc. on all the Autokfraft Mk IV's I have seen prior to this. *The fuse box and relays are also located under the passenger dash, as opposed to where the manual says they should be....Shifter is also the early Ford style... NOT from the mid 80's Mustang. (NOTE: After having gone through piles of receipts from previous owners, I see where they paid for stainless side pipes AND to modify the dash to look like one of the original 1960's cars..That seemed to be accomplished by removing the lower dash cover, and fan switch controls, etc. Now you can see the bracing inside the cockpit..to each his own, but I would prefer it AC MK IV style for ease of repair, etc. and a few more creature comforts).

I am in Dallas, TX. *I probably would want to make the side pipes go away, as they are a bit in the way. *I like the rear exhaust on the MK IV's, save for their length, which I think should be shortened.

A few specific questions:

1) the dealer said let it run at 1500 RPM's or so a few minutes to warm it up and not foul the plugs etc. as to having aluminum heads....HMMMM. My initial thought was that the webers may be rich.... *After starting it in the garage, however, I see condensation and soot, I think, on the drivers side spotting finely from the sidepipe on the garage floor. Only on driver's side. *It goes away when the engine warms up. I understand about condensation when the pipes are cool, but it seems odd it would occur on the driver's side and not the passenger side! At least know soot, or tell tale marks on the passenger side....Any thoughts?

2) I am getting some loud pops through the pipes on decelleration....my hunch is that this is because of the slip fit collectors and header pipes. *I was told to have flanges made with a gasket, but I had hoped to try some high temp silicone, or something similar, and or some header pipe tape where they come together before exiting the engine compartment. *Any Thoughts?

3) a few electrical gremlins....was disappointed not to find the fuse box as pictured in the manual. *Low beams do not work, so probably a fuse or relay.....I cannot tell which relay however! *Hard to get to, not labeled that I can see......any help much appreciated!

4) anybody know of a shop in the Dallas area that might could help with some or all of the above?

Car runs great, and is pretty raw with those sidepipes. *I will try to tone that down some, and go from there.....If not I will probably let it go at some point, as I think I bought it right, and it is a very nice car overall.

Thanks for your help!

Griffbl

Last edited by griffbl; 04-03-2012 at 11:09 AM..