View Single Post
Old 04-09-2012, 09:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     
Default Mechanical Fuel pump

Last week I had the Webers off doing some maintenence, I cleaned them out thouroughly and replaced all the gaskets. I have also been fighting what I believe to be an electrical gremlin in the ignition. After reinstalling the carbs and running breifly I unscrewed the inlet filter cover on the 2 LH carbs and observed there were small pieces of what appears to be "Black Rubbber" that were stopped by the filter in the Carburetor top. I began thinking that maybe the current gasoline has attacked the diaphram in the mechanical Carter Fuel pump (12 years+ ) or one of the hoses in the fuel line from the tank. 3+ years service life. I have another pump so looks like I have a project for tomorrow. I'm going to have to mix some parts as the spare pump came from Robert Yates Racing several years ago and has a rated pressure that would be very unfriendly to the Webers, even with a regulator. My money is on the pump. I hope it can be accessed and removed with the engine in place???

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way

Last edited by Rick Parker; 04-10-2012 at 09:06 AM..