View Single Post
Old 04-12-2012, 03:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary with 482 KC/SO, TKO600,IRS Jag/AMP, 3.54 Salisbury PL,
Not Ranked     

I am waiting for Keith to evaluate the pictures an give me a solution, especially on which parts are still usable.
He has not answered yet and it is possible that he has talked to the people from Eagle , because this is definitely a manufacturing defect. The crank has no more than maybe 800 miles on it and the rev limiter is set at 6200, which I try not to reach, shifting always before 6000rpm. When the crank broke the engine was doing maybe 5000rpm.
I could try to have the block repaired, but all the welding and machining which has to be done to align the front main cap, resleeve the two front cylinders incl. the filling and machining of the cylinder walls, redoing all the front oil galleries and fill the cracks which I have discovered and drill all the new holes and , and , and, and still not sure if there are any more unseen cracks left makes me discard the repair, which is going to get quite expensive, in the ballpark of $3000. For something over a grand more I have a new block and peace of mind.
I do not know if a cast iron block would have survived a crank breakage better then the aluminum block.
One part I could try to salvage is the camshaft.Only on can has got a hit, as seen on this picture.It is on the descending side of the lobe. This a hydraulic roller cam