View Single Post
Old 04-12-2012, 05:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris View Post
FYI ...... we run 3 different Kirkham Diff with Quaiffe Differential in all three ..... and they were notorious for puking oil out of them ...... some folks had issues just driving on the street.....

Many folks had a problem with the oil going up to the catch can .... and filling the catch can up from the rear end....... Also you should notice the line drawn on the steel cover ....that shows the kirkham cover fill hole is to high and over filling is what a lot of folks did..... The aluminum Jag cover shows the correct height the oil level should be.....

We built this mod on the steel covers and tested at Road America/St Louis International/Road Atlanta...... and did not puke any oil out and were able to control our rear end oil temp down to 280*degrees from 320*degrees...... and yes we run a oil cooler and fan on our rear end cooler.......

Morris
Thanks Morris,
Most informative, but this raises my curiosity, so if I may, a couple of questions.

1) How does your mod on the steel cover actually work? ie: the reasoning behind it?
Doesn't the oil still heat up & thus pressure formed & thus hot oil getting puked up the catch can? or does it act as a physical barrier preventing the hot viscous oil from splashing up?

2) I'm going to need to add an oil modifier into my diff (as advised by Kirkham), so what ratio of oil modifier to oil should one be using to prevent going above the "yellow line" and puking oil everywhere if a) on the street, b) club tracking this car (not on slicks... so temps not as high as yours)?

3) Did you have any problems with increased temps & pressures blowing out seals? or was the catch can sufficient in reliving the pressures? Reason for asking is because it will determine how I go about capping the 2nd breather.