View Single Post
Old 04-14-2012, 09:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hi Jeff, I emailed this gentleman inquiring about the bell housing. He claims it will take either the 157 tooth or the 164 tooth fly wheel. In the pictures in the add I could only see one set of starter bolt holes. I asked him if there were another set of starter bolt holes that I couldn't see. He replied that there one only one set of starter bolt holes and to use the different fly wheels you need a different starter nose and informed me that the 2 fly wheels were the same diameter but had different teeth count. From my point of view his whole story is BS. Unless he knows something that I don't know. I have played with small block Fords since about 1969, the majority have been with stick shifts. I have never seen 157 tooth and 164 tooth fly wheel that was the same diameter. As far as starter noses, there are 2 types of starter noses, automatic and manual. Some manual transmissions use the automatic nose because of the positioning of the ring gear on the fly wheel. Some are closer to the front edge and some are closer to rear edge. My biggest reason for asking, a Lakewood can take either fly wheel, but they also have 2 sets of starter bolt holes.

If anyone knows anything different than this, please enlighten me. Does the guy with the Cobra bell housing plain just not know what he is talking about.
Mark