View Single Post
Old 04-22-2012, 07:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Currently Shopping
Not Ranked     
Default Looking for a Cobra project...

So the other day my wife turned to me and said "there are three cars I want you to build". I about crapped my pants! I didn't say anything and just listened.

She said the 1st was the Mini I already built. in 2007 I picked up a bare 1972 Austin Mini shell and completed the build in 2010. I put a 1.6L Honda Vtec in it mated to a Integra LS trans. Pretty fun little go cart.

The second is a lifted Jeep..

The third she said she wanted me to build her a Cobra. I have always loved them just never was in the financial situation to start one... I am getting closer to making it financially work. I guess the biggest part of that is actually having her approval.

I live in Provo UT and I have been down to Kirkham Motorsports who builds replicas. I understand they have several different levels of builds depending on price range. They build most if not all with aluminum bodies.

I'm posting to start my research on the Cobra's and to find out what kits are the better kits and what ones to stay away from.

I'm pretty sure I want to build it with an aluminum body (unless I can be convinced the fiberglass is better for some reason).

I guess my questions are as follows:

1) what chassis kits are the best? I understand there will also be opinions here. I want that.

2) What chassis are going to provide the best value when I am done? I want to build a quality car and want it to have a great to excellent value when I am done. I dont want a car that is only worth $20,000 when I am done. I want something that would sell for a fair price in the range of $40-50K...

3) What body's are the best?

4) What engine and trans configuration is the best to go with for value? Id like to have 400+ HP. A friend of mine picked up a 2003ish Mustang Cobra for cheap and totally rebuilt the motor (still sitting on the stand today) and the trans is a manual (which my wife wants). Would a motor/trans like this setup add value or diminish value from the Cobra I would like to have? It would be a computer operated motor with FI tune ECT... The shop that I have work on all my dealership cars is a mecca for Mustang Cobras. They turn them up to about 1000 HP.

Again, my main goals are as follows: Super nice car, Best value possible (high dollar value), extremely fun to drive and reliability. I would love for my wife to be able to drive it almost daily. (I know that seems contradictory to the value part, but this car after all is going to be built for her).

Last thing I should add is I do have build capabilities. I bought my Mini as a bare shell sitting on a crate. I did all the work my self other then the body, paint work and the vtec conversion kit. Although I did have to modify a lot of the kit and body work.

Thanks for your help

Devin