View Single Post
Old 04-25-2012, 10:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2027, 65' 289" PS wheels
Not Ranked     

All,

Oh, thought a bit before got under the car with a lit torch.

1. checked and insurance won't cover self-immolation.

2. FWIW the gas line runs up the left rear of the engine by the firewall and electric pump is in left rear

3. Did replace the oil plug...although at the end of the afternoon, gave some thought to inserting an M-80 and blowing the darn pan off.

4. removed ALL the gasoline soaked rags and coffee cans from the garage. Hey, once a year pick up all the debris.

...an aside..."Never do this"...used to use gas on a rag to clean the chassis...one time dropped the trouble light while I was jammed under the car. A sudden lucid thought...man, this is STUPID and dangerous!

OH, need to schedule when Jerry can drop off Rick's extra engine.. ! kool

Today I will get the pan off, pull the pump, look around and pop some bearing caps...will report back later..!

My vintage-racer machinist friend probably would cut off all communication if I don't pull the engine and clean it out...or at least refuse to lend me his trailer to tow home a car with a ventilated block...while laughing.

Leaning to going the hard way, and pulling it down. I'm not in a series making points, so if I'm down for while I'm not screwing up a schedule and other folks time.

Very seriously considering replacing the scrapper and adding a ACCU-SUMP.

Lower end girdle is overkill at my output lever. I built the lower end as stout as I could afford (parts circa 1999...infamous Eagle H-beam rods, forged crank, Ross forged pistons) and used a mild cam. Durability was priority.

If it IS a thrust bearing, will be looking at the length of the TKO output shaft...it's the Chevy unit (I forgot why, number of splines on input shaft I think) and have read they can be too long. Do not know if a hydraulic throw-out exerts any pressure after you release the clutch, but all that will be out again. Flippin' wonderful.

As this unfolds there should be endless fodder for discussion..!

Thanks again, Pete
ERA 289 #2027