View Single Post
Old 04-25-2012, 06:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2027, 65' 289" PS wheels
Not Ranked     

Jerry,

Was just under the car again briefly and looking at the 3? main...realized I wasn't sure what I could pry on and not (like the damper), so thought I would deal with that tomorrow. It superficially didn't appear to be thinner on one side than the other but want to start prying and measuring tomorrow.

FWIW do you use a dial indicator on the end to measure movement? At this point you guys that do lots of build-ups know what you're looking for. I want to try to put accurate numbers on measurements so I can get a visual and tactile feel for what 0.0X feels like.

Fiddled the rod caps around, all seemed the same as to side clearance, but I do not know what the max side clearance should be.

Questions...if a crank has excessive end play, and the bearing is NOT shot, do thrust bearings come in oversizes or do you have to weld up the crank?

Same thing for rods...if the clearance is excessive, the rods are trash..?

Was planning on new ARP rod bolts. The ones installed have been torqued several times (long story) already.

Distributor gear looked good, what I could see of it. It was in very good condition 2500 miles ago.

Pete
ERA 289 #2027