View Single Post
Old 04-28-2012, 04:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hi,
The early cars were Coopers, built for Shelby in 1963 and/or 64. Officially these early cars were called Cooper Fords and it was an article back on September 28, 1963 that used the term King Cobra for it. The Shelby team never used the term King Cobra for this car, but the nickname stuck. Shelby reference to the cars back in the day for the entries etc. were Cooper Fords, not one entry with the name King Cobra.

In 1967, as Shelby and Ford were separating, he had a three car Can Am team and these cars were officially called King Cobras. every Shelby reference to the cars, entries etc. called them King Cobras. Jerry Titus did an article of his own and referred to the car as Cougar Cobra and that is where irony kicked in. The official Cooper Ford was nicknamed king Cobra and the official King Cobra was nicknamed Cougar Cobra. The 67 Cobra is the King Cobra and the 63 cars are the Cooper Fords. When Mr. Shelby was reunited with my #3 chassis years back he stated "its my King Cobra" and wrote it on the chassis for clarity.

The King Cobra was designed by Terry and Phil Remington was the constructor for Shelby. Gurney was involved because of AAR and it is the only Cobra with Weslake heads sporting Cobra valve covers. Eagle suspension, wheels and parts were used making this the only joint Shelby Gurney Cobra. There were no Shelby American Comp cars after these three, (known to me) and my car #3 is the last. I'm documenting every aspect of the King Cobras (67 Can Am cars) as it is a fantastic Cobra and being the last of that era's breed the history needs to be accurate hence my request for help. The yellow #55 king Cobra is the one I seek info on!

Thanks! and I would love to talk car anytime!!