View Single Post
Old 05-03-2012, 05:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hi,
I should have been more specific about its being the last Shelby American Comp car, King Cobra #3. I believe that Shelby American evolved into Shelby Racing after my car and post Shelby American saw Can Am, Trans Am and possibly other series as well for many years. I am trying to nail down #1 the few days after the Stardust race when it went from the track to Mr. Titus's shop. I feel there is film or documentation out there!

The King Cobra is so rare that finding information has been tedious to say the least but it is fairly nailed down and any help over this few day period would be great. Mr. Terry is alive and well and the suspension he designed could be used either way, single spring or a conventional set up on the cars. In both outings the King Cobra, as it was officially called, did qualify at both races, in fact faster than the P4 Ferrari entries.

At the time AAR was owned by Mr. Shelby and Mr. Gurney and AAR did the machine work on the XE 351 used in the King Cobra. Mr.Remington was the constructor of Len's design and Eagle is all over it. Of note are the Gurney Weslake heads sporting Cobra valve covers, the only Cobra like it making for a neat blending of Shelby and Gurney and I don't think there is another Cobra with this group of guys behind it.

With and on my Chassis, there was a reunion of sorts of nearly all of the original guys involved. Mr. Shelby, Mr. Gurney, John Collins, Jim O'Leary and Phil Remington. Nice interviews, photographs, video, and documentation. When I asked Mr. Shelby about 'Cougar Cobra' he said no it was the "King Cobra" and wrote it on the tub. It has been exciting researching it and the more that is found out about it the more unique and fantastic it is! for me at least.

Thanks!!