View Single Post
Old 05-11-2012, 07:11 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

I learned the news today. I am truly and deeply saddened. It is a great loss of a great American and automotive icon and legend.

There were many here over the years who were critical of Carroll, sometimes understandably but he was human and had faults like all of us. Who amoung us can go 89 years without a mistake or error in judgment?

On balance his achievements and pluses far outweighed the negative. He was charitable, he loved kids, he was patriotic, a military veteran and truly epitomized the "no fear" slogan.

He came from little but achieved greatly in many ways demonstrating the American dream that hard work, grit, tenacity and brains (with a little luck) can take you to places of your dreams in our great country.

He brought us much and made America proud with his automotive achievements. He brought us the many iconic cars that we all cherish today even if we aren't fortunate enough to own one. He brought us perhaps the most recognizable car of all time, the Cobra. It was and still is the King of the Hill of muscle cars from the golden era of cars, the 1960s. He showed what American ingenuity, tenacity and determination could accomplish by fielding the first American Powered car to beat Ferrari at LeMans and win a world manufacturers title in 1965 and follow it up it 1966 with the world famous effort at LeMans with the GT40.

I for one, will miss the fact he is longer with us. My condolences to his family and those close to him.

He, however, is still with us through his cars and his legend.

He made us proud.

Thanks, Carroll.