View Single Post
Old 05-15-2012, 03:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default 13 years with power steering

cobrabritt83 Couple things where let out for info. What tires are you looking to run on the car? What is this car going to be used for? shows, autoX, roadracing, just a cruiser? Whos suspension is in this car?
To start with any car can be made to turn easy with alignment that is setup with low caster and "0" toe. The car will respond slower to inputs from the driver.
Wheels and tires. If you run the 15" wire wheel and skinny tires, the stock setup will be fine. If you are running 15-18" wheels and tires with a 100 wear rating, the steering will be a bear. You better have brick layer forearms for driving more than 15-30 minutes on a twisty road. How the car is setup to drive will increase or decrease how much strength is needed.
I have been running an ERA for 13+ years with a system similar to COBRA#3170. I am running 17" wheels with 200 wear tires. Even after 20 heats and the power steering, you still get a good work out. The guys I run against get out of their cars and do the arm shake to remove cramps and tingles from driving hard. Me no problem after switching. Still run the wooden steering wheel. I ran 2 years without PS, what a beating. Nascar, all your road racing groups except F1 run them. Why work harder than you have too. To drive perfect driving lines, powersteering is the way to go.
The car is yours, do what you want, is the other half or girlfriend going to drive the car??? This maybe the ONLY answer you needs for this problem. Rick L. Ps Cobra #3170 won the Optima event 3 years ago with less tires and a driver in his 60's over guys half his age.