Thread: Cylinder wash
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2012, 06:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FF 302 cam,balanced,48 IDA Webers
Not Ranked     
Default Cylinder wash

Sorry,This is a bit long but tell me about cylinder wash and possible fixes. I'm really in the dumps. 302 with 48 IDAs. Engine runs but,in trying to tune, discovered the left front carb not pulling. Idle mixture screw also does not change rpm as other three do. Engine has been started and stopped for a total of maybe one hour on a total rebuild- there's still assembly lube showing on parts and I did prime the system before anything.I have good oil pressure.Timing light shows life in the no.1 plug wire. With valve cover off, valve train on number one cylinder showing movement to match other cylinders. I did a compression check on a cold engine and the numbers are all over the place-e.g.no. 1 just about showing and no.6 at 150#
So... tell me my bad feelings are wrong. Would a cold engine produce these low numbers? Would the rings not have seated as yet and in this irregular way? You can tell I'm looking for a happy ending here. I did have problems with the floats being set poorly when I first got the carbs but if the cylinders did get too much fuel in those short runs what is my course of action to repair??Of course I don't want to pull everything apart to find the fault someplace else. If this is the infamous cylinder wash,can I pull everything apart in the car and electric drill hone the cylinders? Do I need to change ring sizes???? Regards, Jon