View Single Post
Old 05-23-2012, 05:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

93cmc,

How much do you understand about wiring and electricity? If the old wiring looks bad, doesn't work and is 20 years old, why not replace it all? Unless you've got a computer controlled, fuel injection wiring harness, there aren't many car wiring challenges simpler than a Cobra replica.

I replaced all the wiring in my car with a home built harness a few years ago. I started by listing all the electrical components and sketched out a wiring diagram. I then decided on wire colors and gauges, and routing for each wire bundle. I bought a bunch of wire and started cutting it to rough length and bundled it as required. In those cases where there were more than two wires of the same color, I attached labels to each end. I installed the bundles, trimmed each wire to the correct length, installed wire ends and connected each to its component. Along the way, I saw things I didn't like about the way the car had been wired, and I changed things that needed it.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor