View Single Post
Old 06-03-2012, 12:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, 351W
Not Ranked     
Default Crap in Fuel Tank (and Carb)

Ever since putting my BDR together I've been plagued w/ black grit in the carb.

The car has only 50mi on it, but I have now disassembled the carb almost a dozen times to clean the bowls out, and now have THREE inline filters in the fuel line, and I just got enough again (maybe last 10mi since the last filter installed) that some cause the float valve to hang flooding the engine (again).

Am I the only one, and if not what type/brand filter finally stopped the stuff? I have 3 different brands (round w/ 3/8" fittings) hoping one would be better than the other, but so far, none have stopped the stuff.

I have one between the tank and the electric boost pump right by the tank, one after the elec pump, and one right before the mechanical pump, and another between the mechanical pump and the carb.

The stuff is very fine, is not rust, and is black. I believe I tried a magnet once, and it's not magnetic. I drained the tank (via the plug at the back), hoping the flow velocity would clear the stuff out, but no-go.

I get tired of having to keep the choke on the fast-idle cam at the end of every drive to keep it from loading up and stalling.

Thanks,
Bob

Last edited by bobinyelm; 06-03-2012 at 12:37 PM..