Old 06-08-2012, 08:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #684, 482FE, Mike Mccluskey build
Send a message via Skype™ to fordracing65
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICK LAKE View Post
ACademic I have been involves with racing since the 70's. Back then we didn't have alot of money to spare on new parts all the time. Mr. Mulvey was a true blacksmith. He could weld, gas weld, stick weld, and bond almost anything to any thing. We cracked a 455 pont motor down the camshaft tunnel into the mains. He repaired the block and we had it remachined. We got 3 years out of it before another crack in the block started and coolant got into the motor. Aluminum blocks are alot easier to repair. We windowed a few in funny car and rail car, about 15. We patched them up all the time with rods holeing out the sides. If you have some of the best welders and machinist with all the broken parts, any thing is repairable.
Here one small note, The crank shaft broke here, would guess from a problem in the cast when made. I do know the hammer trick and have used it for better than 30 years. Cast cranks will run forever if you remember to limit the rpm range. 482 with 4.25 stroke is a good size. I have been running one for 6 years with a Barry R. kit Limit rpms to 6,000 rpms and not bang the limiter and the motor should last for years. Hot dogging and abuse will shorten any motors life. This is not a cheap hobby. I feel for our friend in Spain and his pain. Rick L.
You have to go forged if you want to rev the mighty FE