View Single Post
Old 06-08-2012, 09:41 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

I have a 428 bored .025 over and stroked to 4.125 (not 4.250). Solid lifters, old fashioned cam, 10.6 compression, Edel. heads, aluminum flywheel -- it was spec'd to be a fast-revving, medium powered FE mill. It has under 500 "true horsepower" and I can't begin to use it all on the street. With my 3.54 rear and Yokohama Avids, if I give it any more than, maybe, half throttle the tires will break loose. Above 3000 RPM you really can't give it WOT much at all. I have the rev limiter set at 6400 RPM and occasionally bounce off it. Not because there's extra power past six grand (there really isn't much), I just really love the way it sounds up there -- but, believe me, I'm not using WOT to run past six grand on the street. Once you get past a certain mark on your engine power (and I'm not saying what that mark is) all you do is shorten the life of your components, create excess heat, and make it less drivable on the street. Hope that helps.