View Single Post
Old 06-11-2012, 07:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkb289 View Post
Dan,

Congratulations !!!

Never ceases to amaze me just how big those 427/428 motors really are compared to a 289/302. The manifolds will be challenging, I had to do some trimming and fiddling to get my FIA headers & exhaust setup to fit properly and I had a lot more room to work with!

Keep those pictures coming, car looks great!
Thanks - yes, it's tight. But it does fit. John (Grubby) had said it could be dropped straight down with the clutch and bellhousing in place. I had the clutch in place but left the bellhousing off. I think I would have had to do a little manuvering to get it in with the bellhousing on it. Tilting the motor is of no use. It needs to go in, straight down and level.

I still need to check it out with a level and may have to move it around a little on the mounts before tightening them down. The transmission mount has a some adjustment up and down and I guess I'll have to do a little checking of u-joint angles to make sure I end up with a couple degrees deflection to ensure the needle bearings rotate.