View Single Post
Old 06-14-2012, 02:45 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by olddog View Post
Patrick - were you talking about the total sound ie lifter tappet, or only the exhaust note?
Neither. I was talking about the overall sound that the engine mass itself will make. If you could have a SB versus BB comparison that somehow matched everything to be the same (cam specs, exhaust, compression, etc.), and I know that would be difficult to do, you would find that the big block in that magic comparison test would have a much more pleasing tone that the SB.

A couple of years ago my car was idling at a car show while I was standing by it. A group of hearing impaired kids came up and one girl stood next to it, watched it, and then excitedly signed something to her friend. The friend turned to me and said "she loves the sound of your motor." I kind of stood there with a stupid look on my face and, before I could ask 'how?' he said "she can feel it." And it's true. While I have "extra quiet side pipes" that lessen the decibels, you can still feel the sound. That's a big block for you; small blocks don't do that.